Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: How did you get started on SIP

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Sliver Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2000
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I was wondering how did everyone get started reading SIP? What was the first iss. picked up and why?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Terygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 1999
    Posts
    363
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I picked up the 1st TPB and loved it. The rest is history.

    Oh, why. I liked the cover. Nothing profound.

    [This message has been edited by Terygon (edited October 19, 2000).]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member August's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I first came across SIP in the preview in Cerebus (I forgot, is that where it was?) That got me interested enough to buy the first TPB and I've been here ever since.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 1999
    Posts
    338
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Im half ashamed to say that I had to hear about it via Wizard to pick it up. But I got the High School arc (still my fave ever) and it was love at first read.

    ------------------
    "What about him? What are you doing with him?"
    "What you should be doing with me..."

    Proud family member of Jelymo, gollum, Kelly, Dano, Jaxom27, 5Cats, Fenix and others.

    I believe you can't appreciate real love until you've been burned

    "Om Namaha Shivaya." ~ Dano

  5. #5
    Inactive Member AugurySR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2000
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i first saw SiP a few yrs ago in Comic Shop News, when High School was just abt to come out. The article mentioned that the series wld be wrapping up soon after that, so i thought 'well, it sounds interesting, but i don't want to get into something that's almost over.'

    Soon after, i went to live inSydney - i didn't know anyone, and for parts of my stay i was unemployed. I wasn't at a very good place in my life.

    But i regularly went to comic shops to pick up my comics, and my shop had a huge back ish selection, and SiP caught my eye. The issues that hooked me were the ones (vol 3) where Katchoo and David were talking abt each other, and faith and secrets, which then led into the final Darcy arc, which i found really exciting,

    I just kept on picking up issues (like 3 or 4 at a time!). Then, when i was up to date on vol 3 - abt the time of the Xena ish) - i saw the I Dream of You trade and thought it was pretty good value, and loved it - and filled the holes in my collection with trades!

    SiP was good for me, because it gave me something to hold on to - and i didn't feel quite so lonely anymore

    -Augury

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Katchoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2000
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I saw the first picture of Francine in the Small Press bathing suit special (waaaayyy back when).
    I was in a comic store in Buffalo in the summertime and ?I recognised the character. I read the comic and thought it was so scarily like me and my ex,and it was so very well written and drawn, I became obsessed and spent the pay I had earned being a compere on loads of the graphic novels.
    It's amaaaazing, isn't it?

    ------------------
    ...Without love, we are never more than Strangers In Paradise.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sarabiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2000
    Posts
    73
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I first took a look at the italian HC edition on a comic shop shelf. It was kinda interesting (I remember reading the 'kiss me before I die' scene) but i thought it was too expensive for me. A couple of years later I found the whole series in the city library and as soon as I got to the I Dream Of You storyline I was addicted! When I discovered it was a still ongoing series I started buying the issues after the italian translation. Now I'm buying ALL the back issues AND the italian HC to lend 'em to my friends who can't read English so well. I have less money then 2 years ago, but I don't feel like it's expensive anymore!

  8. #8
    Jaxom 27
    Guest Jaxom 27's Avatar

    Post

    Was reading about it in Wizard (anyone remember when they pumped SiP ALL the time?) and was working in a comic shop where the boss told me I had to read it. One VERY slow Sunday I read vol. II #7 & 8 and ended up taking every single issue available at the time, the first and second trade paperbacks home that night and here I am now...

    ------------------
    "Harper, your song has a sorrowful sound
    Though the tune was written as gay.
    Your voice is sad and your hands are slow,
    And your eye meeting mine turns away."

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Branflakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    2,290
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I had read some reviews that it was worth checking out. Picked up Vol. II #2, 8, 9, and 11 on one day (I had the extra cash and was blown away by all the covers), plus the first tpb. Read it all in one night. I was hooked immediately.

    ------------------
    Branflakes, the original ninja lesbian milk getter.
    The one called "brain" and "brandiflakes" and....
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Life is what you make it.
    "I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality"-Savage Garden
    God never gives us more than we can handle. We just don't always know that.
    You're going to have to deal with my ego at some point.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member DoktorD's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 12th, 2000
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    My favorite indie/used bookstore went out of business, and liquidated the entire stock of used stuff for practically nothing. Sorting through the VERY small comics section, I found the first two TPBs, and picked them up.

    I've been hooked ever since....I'm getting used to the withdrawls, really...I'm fine, really....

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •